FIND A JOB
Youth Ministry Lead – Castro Valley, CA
Position Description:First Presbyterian Church of Hayward in Castro Valley, CA, is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and creative individual to serve as Youth Ministry Lead who will connect with students (6th- 12th grade), supporting them in their lives inside and outside of the church as they navigate adolescence, equipping them with a spiritual foundation through: Developing and maintaining personal relationships with youth and their families; Guiding, teaching, and mentoring youth; and Activities and events. FirstPres Hayward strives to be a multicultural, multi-lingual, multigenerational community that lives out the radical mission of Jesus in the Eden neighborhood and beyond. Guided by our core beliefs and a commitment to anti-racist practices, we seek to fulfill our mission by serving our community through our four areas of ministry: Community Outreach (homeless shelters, food pantry, recovery ministries, and more), Community Life (congregational ministry engagement), HGG Daycare Center, and The Chabot Theater. Responsibilities include:
- Lead and coordinate, in partnership with the Director of Children and Family Ministries all Middle School and High School activities – Weekly Meetings, Sunday Worship, Summer Camps, Retreats, Leader Training, etc.
- Attend all Youth Nights and Sunday Services.
- Build mentoring and discipling relationships with students.
- Coordinate and develop with volunteers to strengthen the Middle School and High School Ministries.
- Contribute and collaborate with other staff who are part of Children, Youth and Family Ministries.
- Communicate regularly with students and parents.
- Keep a regular social media presence for communication with students (including but not limited to Instagram and slack)
- Work with various ministry teams and departments as available to help grow their existing work.
- Possess a heart for the under-resourced members of our community, and young people (children and youth)
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity in every way, including the inclusion of LGBTQ peoples, and anti-racist practices
- Previous experience with youth Be able to work well with both adults and teens
- College Degree or commensurate educational experience
- Previous educational units in child/adolescent development, education/teaching, youth ministry or commensurate experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, database management
- Social media literacy
- Graphic design (Canva or other)
- Spanish Bilingual preferred
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required
- Expectations Be a person of Christian commitment with an understanding of and an appreciation for the beliefs and practices of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Flexibility to an ever evolving organization and group of individuals served
- Motivated to continue to learn and grow
- Desire to work on and with a team