FIND A JOB
Pastor of Missions & Student Ministry – Asheville, NC
Position Description:Covenant Community Church, a United Methodist congregation in Asheville, NC, seeks a Pastor of Missions & Student Ministry. The purpose of this position is to foster alignment of the congregation with the espoused mission & vision by exploring opportunities for intergenerational mission, expanding pathways for community partnership, and developing students for Christian leadership and service. Responsibilities:
- Invest relationally in CCC students, parents, and volunteers of middle and high school ministries.
- Cast vision for family and missions in partnership with Lead Pastors
- Create a culture of prayer, empowerment, and leadership development within the church.
- Further develop established missional partnerships (Haywood, Schools, ABCCM)
- Explore potential community partnerships.
- Create a culture of collaboration, mutuality, and community-led development.
- Promote pastoral care for all students and their families.
- Assist with student assimilation into the life of the Church.
- Identify and affirm assets, strengths, skills, and passions of students and parents.
- Recruit, select, lead, and train volunteers for student and mission ministry.
- Identify and invite parents into meaningful roles of leadership, evaluation, and coordination.
- Coordinate with the Student Ministry Leadership Team to set, plan, and accomplish annual goals consistent with the church’s vision.
- Communicate ministry opportunities clearly and consistently to all teams.
- Coordinate routine celebration and appreciation of the student ministry team.
- Identify and disciple students for service in student, churchwide, and community leadership roles.
- Participation in Sunday morning worship service responsibilities as needed.
- Lead, coordinate, and direct programming for middle and high school students, which includes but is not limited to teaching, worship, small groups, and service opportunities.
- Programming should be designed with a keen awareness of the unique developmental differences that exist between middle and high school students.
- Facilitate onboarding, off-boarding, and timely rotation of Mission Team members annually.
- Create intergenerational service opportunities.
- Design and implement worship services, connection, and spiritual growth opportunities for middle and high school students in the church and the Greater Asheville community.
- Coordinate training of and ensure compliance with the Safe Sanctuary policies and procedures for all volunteers serving in youth ministry.
- Prepare and manage budget and administration for the assigned program ministries of the church.
- Collaborate with lead pastors regarding new approaches to missional engagement and outreach (i.e., Fresh Expressions)
- Coordinate annual mission retreat weekend or its equivalent.
- Develop methods for assessing community assets and opportunities (aka needs).
- Evaluate partnerships annually for missional alignment.
- Manage assigned classroom spaces.
- Models a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Holds an undergraduate degree and seminary or equivalent training preferred.
- Has experience successfully leading or assisting student ministry in a church or youth organization.
- Possesses a passion, excitement, and energy for youth ministry that focuses on discipleship, mission, and community development.
- Ascribes to the theological convictions in the Apostle’s Creed and embraces the Wesleyan theological heritage held by the United Methodist Church.
- Demonstrate vision.
- Ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement student/family discipleship and missions within the parameters of the UMC.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Possess a proven ability to work effectively with congregations, teams of volunteers, and community members and organizations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- The ability to recruit, train, and inspire volunteers of all ages.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work collaboratively and maintain a flexible schedule.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, Monthly Mission meetings, and quarterly Student Leadership team meetings.