FIND A JOB
Director of Youth Ministries, Orlando – FL
Position Description:First United Methodist Church of Orlando is seeking their next full-time Director of Youth Ministries. This person will:
- Seek out youth in the church and surrounding community to share the love of God with them through engaging programs that meet the developmental needs and interests of the youth.
- Surround the youth with loving and caring adults who will mentor the youth.
- Equip and encourage youth and their parents to learn to seek and love God, love and serve people.
- Bring people from diverse generations together, to acknowledge the gifts and skills that each bring, and ensure that all ages are invited and included into the life of the congregation.
- Work with pastors, ministry staff, youth volunteers, and CORE (Youth Council) to create, plan, and oversee developmentally and theologically appropriate opportunities for youth of all ages and abilities.
- Develop and lead weekly spiritual formation opportunities for youth (i.e. Youth Group, etc.).
- Plan and oversee seasonal spiritual formation programs and milestone celebrations for youth (i.e. Mission Trips, summer camp, Confirmation, retreats, Senior Recognition, etc.).
- Recruit, empower, and train volunteers to adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures while developing and adapting educational opportunities that promote a lifestyle of discipleship
- Empower youth to undertake leadership roles at First Church.
- Create new ministry opportunities that minister to the whole family as well as across generations.
- Partner with parents to ensure youth continue to seek and love God, love and serve people throughout their lives.
- Create processes that enable smooth transitions of ministry through various life stages (Confirmation, Graduation, etc.).
- Ensure all First Church programs and events adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures of First Church. Collaborate:
- Coordinate and work with volunteers and Youth CORE team.
- Demonstrate healthy and effective teamwork with pastors and staff.
- Work with pastors to evaluate youth ministries with input from relevant people.
- Work with the pastoral staff and worship planning team to create opportunities that incorporate and engage youth in worship services.
- Oversee the Youth Ministry budget with input from relevant people.
- Assist pastors and congregational care ministers to respond to pastoral care needs of youth and their families.
- Attend and participate in staff and other meetings.
- Create an environment conducive to positive interaction with pastors, staff members, lay leadership, church members, and the community.
- Attend First Church Scholarship Committee meetings as a non-voting member. Assist Scholarship Committee in reaching out to students.
- Work with the Director of Communications to communicate clearly and often with youth, parents, volunteers, First Church, and the community about opportunities in First Church’s Youth Ministry.
- Enthusiastically inform pastors, staff, members of First Church about the Youth Ministries.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Promote, communicate, and embody the vision, mission, and core values of First Church.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University and two years of related ministerial experience.
- Embodies and lives the Christian faith.
- Deeply committed to personal spiritual growth.
- Passionately desires to share and develop the Christian faith with youth and families.
- Computer Skills: Working knowledge of internet tools including social media, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Strong commitment to Christian faith and theology of The United Methodist Church.
- Familiarity with the United Methodist Church structure and Wesleyan theology.
- Must be adaptable, innovative, cooperative, and communicative.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff, lay leadership, children, parents, and the community.
- Ability to solve practical problems and effectively cope with the challenges that may arise from working with a variety of people in a church setting.
- Must be able to multitask, organize, and delegate.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team.
- Must pass a background, fingerprint, and reference check.
- Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs or more.