Asbury United Methodist Church in Portland, Indiana is hiring a full-time Pastor of Family Ministries.
The objective of the Pastor of Family Ministries is to drive the mission of Asbury UMC – To know Jesus and make Jesus known – by engaging individuals and families of all ages in vital and spiritually stimulating Biblical education and opportunities to serve each other and the community.
The Pastor of Family Ministries is a full-time position, with regular office hours required. Specific hours will be flexible based on the requirements of particular ministries.
● Develop and oversee an education program that engages members of all ages in opportunities to study and learn the Christian faith in both traditional and non-traditional ways – Sunday School, small groups, digital offerings, etc.
● Recruit, train, manage, and evaluate teachers for the educational programs offered by Asbury UMC.
● Locate, evaluate in coordination with the Senior Pastor, and obtain appropriate materials for the educational programs offered by Asbury UMC.
Youth & Children
● Lead, grow, and maintain a youth program (grades 7-12) and a children’s program (grades 3-6) that meets regularly for both fellowship and study.
● Coordinate special events for youth and children, such as retreats, conferences, concerts, lock-ins, etc.
● Coordinate regular fundraising events to help fund Asbury UMC’s youth and children’s ministries.
● Provide opportunities for youth and children to engage in serving others, whether in the local community or in the wider world.
● In coordination with the senior pastor, create and teach a United Methodist Confirmation class for youth 7th grade and older, on an as-needed basis.
● Prepare and deliver a weekly children’s sermon.
● Coordinate with the senior pastor to develop opportunities for families of all types to participate together in the life and mission of Asbury UMC.
Care & Outreach Ministry
● Assist the senior pastor in planning, coordinating, and executing community outreach events such as Trivia Night, Euchre Night, Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat, etc.
● As needed, be available to assist the senior pastor in handling pastoral care emergencies.
● Attend weekly staff meetings
● Be available to assist with worship (giving announcements, etc.)
● Follow all Asbury UMC guidelines with regard to financial reporting
● Other tasks as discussed with the Senior Pastor
Skills, Qualifications, and Attributes
The ideal Pastor of Family Ministries will possess the following:
● A mature and faithful relationship with Jesus
● A bachelor’s degree in ministry or a related field, or equivalent experience
● Familiarity with and commitment to United Methodist Theology and Polity
● Reliability and punctuality
● Well-developed interpersonal, relational, and communication skills to work efficiently with the pastor, church leaders, church members, ministry volunteers, and community members
● Strong organization and administrative skills
● Willingness to support and drive forward the mission of the church as guided by Asbury UMC’s senior pastor and church council.
Safe Sanctuaries Policy
The Pastor of Family Ministries will at all times abide by Asbury UMC’s safe sanctuaries policy, including but not limited to:
● Performing regular background checks on all volunteers working with youth, children, or vulnerable adults.
● Train, educate, and evaluate all volunteers on compliance with Safe Sanctuary practices.
● Record and document all information concerning Asbury UMC’s Safe Sanctuary policies as it pertains to the responsibilities listed above.
● Immediately inform the senior pastor and church council of any issues that arise from potential or alleged violations of Asbury UMC’s Safe Sanctuary policies.
The Pastor of Family Ministries reports directly to the senior pastor and, ultimately, to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee of Asbury UMC.