Gary United Methodist Church, a thriving, 880-member historic church located in Wheaton, Illinois is looking for a Director of Youth Ministry who can build on the existing momentum of their youth ministry program. At Gary, you will find a church that is warm, welcoming, and invested in creating an authentic community where students have opportunities to discover a meaningful relationship with Jesus. GUMC is mission-focused, value playing an active role in their community, and theologically diverse. Wheaton, ranked #27 of “Best Places to Live in the US”, offers residents a suburban feel and is less than 30 miles away from Chicago. Home to several community-based non-profits, Wheaton is known for their neighborly community and excellent education system. If you are interested in leading Gary UMC in youth ministry and being part of a dynamic team, please email your resume and cover letter.
Flossmoor Community Church, an active, diverse and inclusive south suburban church known for it’s outstanding Youth program, seeks an outstanding person with an understanding of how youth learn; discerning their needs and abilities, creatively interacting and engaging their involvement, inspiring their spiritual growth and most of all, having the energy and passion to make it fun!
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM), shall assist the Pastor and guide the Board of Christian Education (BCE), lay leaders and the parents of the youth of Flossmoor Community Church in providing for the spiritual growth, Biblical education, discipleship and development of the faith of the youth of this church, ages sixth through twelfth grades.
Desired Gift and Knowledge Base
- Deeply Christian, spiritually mature person with a passion for the spiritual nurturing of teenagers and adults.
- Ability to invite, inspire and engage others in discovering and using gifts for Youth ministries.
- Self-directing, organized, and administratively competent.
- Effective leader, coach, facilitator, planner, problem-solver, communicator and team builder.
- Excellent ability to delegate effectively and trust others to fulfill their responsibilities.
- Understanding of how youth learn, discerning their needs and abilities, and providing developmentally appropriate work.
- Ability to nurture parental responsibility for faith development of their children.
- Determination to grow in knowledge and understanding of youth and family ministries, remaining open to new and creative ideas for spiritual nurture.
- Technological capabilities with a computer and willingness to utilize technology to manage information and work tasks.
- Ability to encourage youth, youth staffers, and lay advisors to have fun. Believe that God is with them every step of the way.
First Presbyterian Church of Normal, Illinois, is looking for a Director of Student and Young Adult Ministry. This person will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and maintain a compelling, realistic vision for the student and young adult ministries of First Presbyterian Church of Normal.
- Formulate a full, diverse, attractive calendar of programming including opportunities for spiritual formation, fellowship, service, recreation, and outreach.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage, inspire, equip, and empower a competent team of volunteers for programs including youth group gatherings and Sunday school.
- Provide energy, excitement, and dedication to the student ministry and young adult programs of First Presbyterian Church of Normal.
- Develop the teaching schedule for the program year of messages and lessons offered to students in both Sunday school and Sunday night youth group.
- Encourage the middle school and high school students of First Presbyterian Church of Normal to grow in their love and faith in Christ and encourage them to regularly participate in the life of the church.
- Create a positive and safe atmosphere where each student is encouraged to develop and grow in their special gifts and talents.
- Collaborate with the pastoral staff for the annual Confirmation class.
Young Adult Ministry:
- Establish compelling programs and opportunities for young adults.
- Engage young adults and invite them into the worship and life of the church.
- Maintain and foster encouraging, supportive connections with our college students while they are away at school.
- Inspire and offer an anticipation and joy surrounding the activity and identity of the student and young adult ministries.
- Effectively share all necessary details as well as fostering open lines of communication for any questions or new members.
- Utilize multiple forms of media on a consistent basis to ensure communication is visible to all demographics including students, families, church staff, congregation members, etc.
- Strong faith with dedication toward growth and regular devotional life.
- Display strong character and sense of maturity.
- Prior experience or education in Students Ministry.
- Demonstrate a proven understanding of pre-teens, teenagers, and young adults today.
- Ministry education is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrate an adept knowledge of, appropriate use of, and presence within social media/technology.
- Communicate effectively with parents and build strong relationships with families.
- To model the attributes of a Christian leadership and modeling from 1 Timothy 4:16…
o Speech: Appropriate language free of foul language and coarse joking.
o Life: To live a life that models the heart of Jesus Christ.
o Love: To demonstrate love and grace to all people as our neighbors.
o Faith: To exemplify a passionate, growing faith in Jesus Christ.